MSc Sustainable Management
Accelerate Your Career and Contribute to a More Sustainable World
Sustainability management is fast becoming a key driving force in shaping organisational strategy as companies are under pressure to compete in the Green Economy.
This course focuses on the relationship between the economic ambitions of businesses and the necessity to meet the growing global concern to meet sustainability agendas.
Through a combination of academic study and working with industry on real sustainability-related problems, you will develop the personal and professional skills you need to be a key player in this global, knowledge-based economy
This program focuses on providing students with a balanced understanding of management approaches and sustainable methods. Students may gain a deep understanding of the modern environmental context in which businesses operate. Students often leave the program with more developed leadership skills that can help them acquire managerial positions. Additionally, students can gain a more specialized understanding of environmental issues and sustainable industry methods, which can make them more attractive to employers, increasing job prospects and earning potential.
Growing Societal Demand
Businesses increasingly face significant challenges and opportunities from environmental issues such as climate change, energy, and water and social issues such as labour and human rights, corruption, and transparency. Stakeholders in these businesses – including governments, shareholders, business customers, local communities, consumers, employees, and NGOs – are demanding that companies become more focused on sustainability for themselves and the communities they impact. As a graduate with the knowledge and skills to develop sustainable business practices, you will have excellent career prospects across multiple sectors and industries.
Why Choose Msc in Sustainable Management?
- Study the core areas of sustainability within the corporate sector, and logistics management and its relationship with sustainability
- Gain intimate knowledge of the structural issues companies and counties face when implementing a sustainability agenda.
- Develop advanced knowledge of organisational approaches to sustainability as well as of government policies and the critical capabilities to apply theory to complex issues.
- Explore your enterprise, creativity and independence – the skills required by employers – through your dissertation unit.
- Develop your employability by undertaking a work placement with the opportunity to work on a live project.
- Benefit from studying with a Business School that has partners across the world enabling you to examine the cross-culture perspectives essential to organisations in the global markets.
Who is It for?
- Graduates with a keen interest in the social, environmental and economic impact that organisations have on the world, and who aspire to embed sustainability into their future management career across a varied range of private, public and not-for-profit organisations; sectors and roles.
- CEO’s, General Managers and Seasoned Managers who wish to transition into a sustainability-focused role and wish to lead successful, sustainable organisations that addresses society’s social, environmental and economic goals while making profit.
Course Structure – Study One Unit at a Time
The course is delivered using a unit delivery pattern; prospective students will follow 4 core units (8 months), at the end of four units you will progress to the master’s capstone experience stage (4 months) where you will opt to complete either, a dissertation, a professional placement, or a live project unit. The course comprises a total of 180 credits.
In line with the Business School’s commitment to practice-based education, a large part of the assessment will relate to the demonstration of your ability to understand Sustainable Management in practice.
It is the expectation of the course that you understand the theory and develop critical thinking skills, which will help you to evaluate the relevance of what you have learnt. All of this comes together by being able to demonstrate rigorous expertise for a business or related organisation.
Bedfordshire Placed Sixth in University Green League
University of Bedfordshire was ranked sixth in the latest People & Planet university ‘green league’. The student-led league table ranked 154 universities in the UK on their green prowess, awarding Bedfordshire a First Class degree for its eco-friendly practices.
Bedfordshire was recognised for the significant reductions it has made in its carbon emissions as well as for its efforts to embed sustainability into the curriculum. Most recently students were given the opportunity to take part in a Climate Change event, including a mock UN debate where software deployed by official UN climate change negotiators was used to generate real time impacts of carbon targets on carbon dioxide concentrations, temperature and sea level.
The University was also one of the first in the UK to divest from fossil fuel investment and is to sign a pledge later this year formalising that commitment.