International Foundation Diploma - Applied Science
The International Foundation Diploma is specially designed and offered as a Pre-Diploma course of academic subjects, academic practice, study skills, and introduction to laboratory techniques.
- Duration : 9 months(Full time)
- Assured by : Pearson
- Intakes : March / September
- Lectures : Monday to Friday
- Academic Year : 2019
- All candidates must be above 17 years of age and should have completed the G.C.E (Local / London) examination with credit passes in Science, Maths and English
- Prepare students academically to enter the Higher National Diploma.
- Acquire the necessary academic study skills for undergraduate study in Science.
- Develop understanding of theories and practices in Biology and Chemistry.
- Develop confidence and fluency in the English language for academic purpose.
Upon successful completion of the International Foundation Diploma, students can progress onwards to either the HND in Biomedical Science leading to a BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Science or the HND in Biotechnology leading to a BSc (Hons) in Biotechnology
IFD (BIOM) 01 - Chemistry for Biology
The module is designed to introduce the atom as the basic structure of matter. Importance of bonding patterns, chemical and physical characteristics of substances will be emphasised. Balanced chemical equations will be used to solve stoichiometric problems
IFD (BIOM) 02 - Applied Biology
This module will provide an introduction to the fundamentals of biology. The learners will study the structure and function of biological macromolecules, different types of human cells and tissues, anatomy of the human body, and its physiological functions.
IFD (BIOM) 03 - Scientific Practical Techniques
This module helps to develop the learner’s practical skills in chemical techniques and guides the learner to carry out experiments, evaluate and interpret the results in a scientific manner.
IFD (BIOM) 04 - Statistics of Science
The module will enable the learner to gain and understand the principles and practice to perform statistical techniques to investigate scientific problems.
IFD (BIOM) 05 - Academic Practice and Study Skills
The module aims to equip students with the fundamental academic expertise, including English for academic purposes and skills that underpin and support the technical areas of their specific programme of study. it introduces tools for scientific academic research & writing