BSc (Hons) in Quantity Surveying (RICS Accredited)
Quantity surveyors play an integral role in the construction and built environment industry – they manage and control financial aspects of the construction process and specialize in construction contract law and procurement. Quantity surveyors ensure that projects are completed within budget, and work on behalf of contracting organizations or representatives of clients.
We offer a complete Bachelor of Science (Hons.) degree programme in Quantity Surveying in partnership with the School of Built Environment, at the University of Salford, UK. This course is accredited and set by the highest standards of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).
The full 4 years (3 years taught + 1 year industrial training) can be completed entirely in Sri Lanka, providing an opportunity for students seeking an alternative to traveling overseas for higher education. Students also have the option of completing part of their studies at University of Salford, UK, or attend their graduation in the UK with other Salford graduands. This degree is accredited and set to the highest standards of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS,UK)
This course is modular in structure and combines academic study with project work. Students will develop a sound knowledge of technical, economic, legal, and management aspects of quantity surveying, including the use of computing resources to financially manage the development, construction and long-term operation of buildings.
In addition, project management skills such as learning how to select, manage and coordinate resources needed for the completion of a construction project will be taught. The industrial placement facilitates a smooth transition into the professional workforce.
- Including Industrial Placement: 4 Years Full Time
- Excluding Industrial Placement: 3 Years Full Time
- Advanced entry to year 2: 2 Years Full Time
- Advanced entry to year 3: 1 Year Full Time
The course duration is dependent on the entry level at which the student is assessed as eligible.
Special Features of the Programme
- Accredited by the Royal Institution of Charted Surveyors (RICS)
- Availability of different entry levels (year 1, year 2 and year 3)
- Availability of several entry paths
- Affordable fees
- Guest lecturer delivered by the University of Salford staff members and industry experts
- Access to online library resources at the University of Salford
- Supported by leading contractors, consultants, trade associations, professional bodies and the Chamber of Construction Industry in Sri Lanka
- All lectures conducted at the Colombo School of Construction Technology (CSCT) campus in Colombo
- Introduction to Law & Regulatory Regulatory Framework
- Technology 1
- QS Private & Commercial Practice 1
- Economics & Management
- Environmental Science & Service
- QS Discipline Project 1
- Technology 2
- Construction Process Management
- QS Private & Commercial Practice 2
- Procurement & Administration
- Construction Economics
- Professional Project
Students have the opportunity to decide if they wish to undertake industrial placement between year 2 & 3 or go to directly year 3. Industrial Placement provides student with the opportunity to join the construction industry and obtain hands-on experience. The benefit in this is that it allows students to have 1 year's experience upon graduation.
- QS Discipline Project 1
- Risk & Value Management
- QS Private & Commercial Practice 3
- Construction Law & Dispute Resolution
- Sustainable Design and Construction
- Discipline Research Project
Entry to Year 1
a) A – levels – 260 points ( equivalent to 1C +3S or above including General English)
b) Full A – level – (Edexcel or Cambridge syllabus) : HNC or National Certificate / Diploma level qualification
c) Foundation degree (any subject) Pass
d) HND (any subject) Pass
e) Full undergraduate degree (any subject)(any classification)
Entry to Year 2
a) HND in a cognate subject : Foundation degree in a cognate subject at 60% or more
b) Full undergraduate degree in a cognate subject e.g. civil engineering, architecture (any classification)
c) College of Estate Management Diploma in Surveying Studies at 60% or more
d) Completion of IQSSL Level 3
Entry to Year 3
a) HND / Foundation degree in QS subject with average Merit grades for Year 2 subjects
b) HND / Foundation degree must have Quantity Surveying in title of diploma.
January / September