BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science
The BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science programme is specifically designed for students who are interested in the Biological Sciences and its practical applications, particularly in the cases of healthcare and research. Throughout the Biomedical Science programme, students will study life processes (structure and function of the human body) to gain an understanding of health and the methods for diagnosing, analysing, and treating disease. This programme also develops transferrable skills including laboratory techniques, data analysis, interpersonal and teamwork skills, and IT, preparing the students for further study or employment in the Biomedical Science field. Subjects covered in the programme are broadly similar to the pre-clinical components of a medical degree with the addition of Molecular Biology, Statistics, Pharmacology and Laboratory Management.
What is Biomedical Science?
- It is a novel branch of the Biological Sciences which is related to medical practice such as research, health monitoring, or treatment.
- The role of Biomedical Scientists is to develop and improve medical treatment, vaccines, equipment, and techniques involving healthcare.
- Biomedical Scientists are also capable of performing and analysing an array of technical procedures to screen, maintain, and improve human health.
- Students who successfully complete the HND in Biomedical Science, can transfer to the Northumbria University Biomedical Science Degree which is accredited by the Institute for Biomedical Science (IBMS). It provides the education and training required to become a Registered Biomedical Scientist.
Why study Biomedical Science at BMS?
- The BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Science is an internal honours degree awarded directly by Northumbria University, UK at BMS.
- As part of the programme, students will gain access to BMS’s state-of-the-art laboratories where they will perform a series of practicals that will strengthen their scientific research skills.
- Students will gain valuable instructions from academic sessions provided by professors who are specialized in the Biomedical Science field.
- The degree is both locally and globally recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
- The BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Science is accredited by the Institute for Biomedical Science (IBMS) in the UK.
- The components of the degree programme are largely similar to the preclinical components of a medical degree with the addition of other subjects such as Molecular Biology, Statistics, Pharmacology and Laboratory Management.
Course Detalis - Final Year
- Duration - 9 months
- Recognised by - Northumbria University
- Intakes - January / September
- Lectures - Monday to Friday
- Academic Year - 2019
Modules - Final Year
- Pathology in Practice
- Clinical Immunology
- Analytical Methods and Applied Genetics
- Molecular Cell Interactions
- Research Project
- Scientific Literature Review
Entry Requirements - Final Year
- Overall Merit in the HND Biomedical Science Programme.
- A Merit in the Biology of Disease Module.