BSc (Honours) Software Engineering
A full three year honours degree, with carefully selected specialization areas to cater the current requirement of the industry not only within the local context but also in global setting. All the programs are designed to provide a holistic and comprehensive learning experience in selected discipline. NSBM in partnership with University of Plymouth, United Kingdom, provide students a great opportunity to earn their British degree inside Sri Lanka. Together with an exiting and unique educational partnership these programmes will develop employable graduates to lead the country tomorrow.
- Earn a British qualification whilst studying in Sri Lanka from most prominent and dynamic university with an educational history dated back to 1862.
- Privilege to experience the unique partnership that harness the very best of two esteemed institutions.
- Industry oriented and well-designed programme content.
- Earn a three year honours degree along with an industry experience
- Gain comprehensive academic foundation in order to meet the key challenges of working in exciting and dynamic industry.
- Learn from leading academics that will make up a 'flying faculty team' travelling to Sri Lanka to deliver lectures in their final year.
- Develop people and communication skills for the professional environment.
- Access to Plymouth Digital learning environment, online learning space which is designed to facilitate a collaborative learning experience for students utilizing a variety of tools and features
- Free access to Plymouth library portal (LYNDA) providing access to hundreds of international research journals.
- Fully equipped Cisco network laboratory and other laboratory facilities to gain full hands-on experience on learnt concepts.
STAGE 1 (FULL TIME)
In your first year, you'll engage with the foundations of software engineering from programming to algorithms and mathematics. We've structured the curriculum to accurately reflect the industry and its many areas of specializations.
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Mathematics for Computing 1
- Programming with C Language
- Database Management Systems
- Business Information Systems
- Internet Technology
- Data Structures & Algorithms
- Computer Technology
- Object Oriented Programming with C#
- System Analysis and Design
- Introduction to Computer Networks
- Advanced Database Management Systems
STAGE 2 (FULL TIME)
The second develops your understanding in your specialist subject area, Computer Networks, Computer Security and Software Engineering and link it with other relevant areas within Computing. This will cover all the core content and other specialist area topics as well as all critical issues of any IT infrastructure. You will also strengthen your project management and team work skills as a part of a large scale group.
- Human Computer Interaction
- Software Development Platform
- IT Legislation & Ethics
- Network & System Administration
- Network Security
- Integrating Project
STAGE 3 (PART TIME)
Final year provides the required enhanced understanding and mastering the latest technologies in your chosen specialist area of study, with a string focus on integrating these skills with current business needs and industry demands. Critical part of the final year is the project, which challenges and enhances design, development, and evaluation skills. This allows graduates to demonstrate the ability to undertake research and development activities within commercial environments.
- Software Development and Project Mgt
- Cross-Platform Development in C
- Incident Prevention, Detection & Response
- Network Monitoring
- API Software Development
- Advanced Databases and Their Applications
- Distributed Systems
- Three passes for GCE Advanced Levels
- Faced A/L with 5 credits for O/L including a Credit pass for English Language (Subjected to complete NSBM Certification Programme for Bachelor's degree
- O/L 8 passes with 6 credits at including credit passes for Mathematics and English Language (Subjected to complete NSBM Foundation Programme for Bachelor's degree)
- Diploma in Management Information Systems / Software Engineering / Computer Networks from NIBM (National Institute of Business )
Fee & Funding
For Local Students:
- Year 1 : LKR 600,000
- Year 2 : LKR 500,000
- Year 3 : LKR 500,000
- Registration Fee : LKR 10,000
- Library Fee : LKR 5,000
For International Students:
- Year 1: US$ 7,500
- Year 2: US$ 6,250
- Year 3: US$ 6,250
- Registration Fee : US$ 125
- Library Fee : US$ 63
Dr. Rasika Ranaweera - Senior Lecturer
Phone: 94 11 544 6000
Email: [email protected]